Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Irony of Attacking Wal-Mart

Prior to moving to Georgia, we didn't shop at Wal-Mart very often. They had yet to infiltrate California. In our little town of Covington, Georgia, the main street in town was anchored by two stores: K-Mart and Wal-Mart. We soon found ourselves shopping at Wal-Mart three to five times a week.

But I digress (and don't get me started on the need for a Super Wal-Mart).

Lately it seems fashionable for liberals to publicly attack Wal-Mart as the evil empire out to destory humankind as we know it. It's true that Wal-Mart is a big conglomerate and not a touchy-feely mom and pop store. It's a big business and is run like a big business. Could it do things better? Absolutely.

But as I watch certain Democrats criticize Wal-Mart, I can't help but wonder how many of their constituents shop at Wal-Mart? Probably a good number of them. And why do they shop at Wal-Mart? Because it's convenient and affordable. In other words, they like it.

That's why I wonder about the strategy of attacking Wal-Mart. I know it will score points among those who prefer Nordstroms to Wal-Mart, but honestly, there are more of "us" than there are of "them." I would expect to see the attacks tone down once this reality sets in.

Then again, maybe Chuck Schumer does shop at Wal-Mart.

No comments: